Monday, October 8, 2012

You Want To Study Abroad

So You Want To Study Abroad :


Study Abroad





If you’re continuing reading this blog, then you’re already one step closer to making one of the best decisions of your life: studying abroad. And with a little help on my part and a little effort on yours, you’ll be prepared to have the time of your life. 

If you’re not sure whether or not you’re ready to go abroad, fear not. I didn’t make my decision until a week before the application was due (not something I would recommend by the way). I could say that if you really don’t think it’s for you then don’t go, but in reality, that’s not what I believe.
  
Everyone who has even a remote desire to go abroad should. I know one of my biggest fears when I made the decision to go abroad was that I would lose my good friends and be really far out of the loop when I came home.
  
First and foremost, your being abroad shouldn’t change anything. You can still talk via Skype and phone calls, and if you’re friends are truly your good friends, then they should be excited for you to go out and do something with your life as well as be understanding when you come home. 

By studying abroad you’re much more marketable to grad schools and employers, because of the intangible life skills you’re going to pick up along the way. As cliche as it sounds, it’s totally true. You will become a much worldlier person. Think of it as gaining a sort of cultural capital. The fact that you’ve studied abroad will answer many people’s questions about what type of person you are before they even have to ask.
  
You want culture? You won’t find it all here (as much as I love the U.S.). We live in a bubble, it’s sad to say. The only way to experience culture is to go live it. And that’s where those intangibles will come from. Independence, time management, organization, social skills, self confidence; they’ll all develop exponentially while you’re abroad. There will be a moment while you’re abroad when you realize you made the right decision: treasure that moment.

I encourage you to read the next section on whether to study abroad for a year or a semester, a common problem that many students face. Even if you don’t have the option, read it anyways because it will still provide some info that I may have missed here. 

The 3 months before you leave are going to be extremely busy. There will be a ton of monotony that you have to go through. As much as I hate to admit it, a lot of what will be in the first section or two might sound lame. I tried to spice it up as much as possible, but it’s not easy to make medical insurance sound exciting.  Just get through all of the tedious stuff right now to guarantee that you will have the best experience possible. 

If you’re looking for the actual benefits of studying abroad, just contact with BRM. You’ll find many of International standard courses, more facts and figures for getting scholarship. Coverage of study abroad in the media has been growing tremendously due to things like the 100,000 Strong China study abroad initiative. There’s no shortage of articles that put study abroad in a good light.
Good Luck!

No comments: